Purpose: This job provides pharmacy expertise to the development, implementation of the pharmacy service line operations, focusing on the 340B Program. The pharmacist assists in developing, implementing, and overseeing innovative solutions to provide operational accountability and process development of the 340B program. These services will be provided in compliance with state and federal regulations, the mission, policies and procedures of the UPMC Health System, and Pharmacy Department. Individual should demonstrate professionalism and commitment to meet UPMC goals and objectives.
Administrative: - Participate in meetings, committees, and work groups both internally and externally as assigned. - Maintain a solid understanding of the requirements of the Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA), the Office of Pharmacy Affairs (OPA), and Pennsylvania State Department of Health and Medical Assistance specifically as they relate to the 340B Program operations. - Ensure compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements of the 340B Program.
- Analyze the utilization of technological solutions in place for 340B program facilitation (e.g., split billing software, contract pharmacy software).- Provide vendor oversight, including reviewing performance reports, drug accumulator files, and regulatory changes.- Assist UPMC covered entities in maximizing the efficiency of the 340B program (e.g., internal audits, purchasing efficiency, regulatory requirements).- Assist in maintaining the split billing drug accumulator files and crosswalks of the files to the electronic health record(s) drug descriptions.
Operational Activities: - Assist with the oversight of the 340B program across the UPMC Health System, assuring compliance and providing reporting as required.- Work with strategic partners to optimize the efficiency of the 340B program.- Ensure that 340B policies and procedures are in compliance with state and federal guidelines, and are implemented by all participating covered entities.- Develop and maintain internal compliance programs, including self-audit processes for all participating covered entities.- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of 340B program technological applications (split billing software, contract pharmacy software).
- Assist in maintaining 340B databases and registries.- Create, develop, maintain and enhance reporting programs, including but not limited to 340B drug purchasing activity. - Work with external customers (information services, finance, internal audit, supply chain, etc.) in multidisciplinary meetings as assigned to improve the understanding of the pharmacy service line activities, as well as to offer recommendations.
Special Skills/Ability to Interact: - Have ability to function independently, but support team concept. - Behavior denotes reliability as demonstrated by prompt attendance and timeliness completing designated workload and follow-up. - Conveys and maintains professional image while interacting with coworkers, providers and clients. - Honor client and patient confidentiality.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Pharmacy, or Doctor of Pharmacy Degree (Pharm.D.) from an accredited U.S. School of Pharmacy.
Five years of hospital pharmacy operations experience or related experience required with a minimum of three years of experience with purchasing/procurement, pharmacy billing/information systems.
Previous experience with 340B program operations is required.
Effective communication skills, both written and oral.
Must have strong analytical ability and organizational skills.
Computer literacy for pharmacy programming, word processing, data management.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances: Pharmacist Registration as a registered pharmacist (RPh), in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or eligibility for licensure by examination or reciprocity.
Internal Number: 36529391
UPMC, a $20 billion world-renowned health care provider and insurer based
in Pittsburgh, PA, is inventing new models of accountable, cost-effective,
• UPMC is a nonprofit that melds an unwavering community mission with entrepreneurial
business models. UPMC is the first nonprofit health system to fully adopt Sarbanes-Oxley.
• UPMC is the largest non-governmental employer in Pennsylvania, with 87,000 employees.
• A recognized innovator in information technology, UPMC was an early adopter of
electronic health records and the interoperability solutions that tie them together. Its clinical
and technological capabilities have attracted such technology partners as Microsoft and
UPMC operates 40 academic, community and specialty hospitals, 700 doctors’
offices and outpatient sites, employs 4,900 physicians, and offers an array of
rehabilitation, retirement, and long-term care facilities.
• UPMC has created a genuinely integrated health delivery system, with renowned centers
of excellence in transplantation, cancer, neurosurgery, psychiatry, rehabilitation, geriatrics
and women’s health. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside is ranked #1 in Pennsyl...vania and
#15 in the nation, and is one of only nine hospitals ranked in the nation’s top 20 of America’s
Best Hospitals for 10 years in a row by U.S. News & World Report. UPMC Children’s Hospital
of Pittsburgh is ranked in the nation’s top 10 of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals by
U.S. News & World Report.
• The virtually paperless UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh was the nation’s first
pediatric hospital to achieve HIMSS Stage 7, the highest level of electronic health record
implementation. Overall, more than a dozen of UPMC’s hospitals are at the highest levels of
EHR adoption, as are its outpatient locations, enhancing the quality and safety of patient care.
UPMC’s Insurance Services Division (ISD), the largest medical insurer in western
Pennsylvania, has grown to more than 3.5 million members and is leading the way
with innovative health plans for virtually all segments of society that deliver better
quality and lower cost.
• ISD provides health plans to employers for their employees and dependents, to individual
members, as well as to those eligible for Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health
Insurance Program (CHIP) throughout the Commonwealth.
• ISD offers absence management services, Life Solutions health management, wellness and
employee assistance programs, worker’s compensation, and on-site health services, as well as
some of the most comprehensive health improvement, wellness, and workplace productivity
programs anywhere in the United States. The ISD also operates an HR software and services
company providing health and productivity support to benefit administrators, consultants, and
carriers on a single platform.