Great careers start with great training. The people of Banner Health are focused on delivering excellent care to our patients. In return, we are committed to excellence in personal development for all our team members. Apply today.
Fallon is surrounded by wide-open spaces, internationally known wetlands, historic Pony Express trails, state parks, hiking opportunities, and places to go off-road. Play outdoors for a while then come back into town for some indoor, Nevada-style fun, great dinner, and entertainment.
As an Acute Pharmacy Technician at Banner Churchill Community Hospital, you will work under the supervision of the Pharmacist to perform a variety of duties. These duties can include; unit dose packaging, medication distribution through stocking the automated medication dispensing machines, inventory management, and record-keeping and much more! You will also serve as a liaison between the Pharmacist and the customers. This is a Per Diem position.
This is a per diem opportunity that will work on-call as determined by department needs. Per diem positions are a great way to market your skills within Banner Health. You will be eligible to apply to regular full-time or part-time opportunities as an internal applicant. In addition, you will enjoy excellent compensation, shift differentials, paid orientation, 401K, employee wellness program and employee discounts.
Located in Fallon, Nev., Banner Churchill Community Hospital is a 25-bed licensed hospital offering the most comprehensive array of medical services in rural northern Nevada. We provide comprehensive and emergency care, including an ambulance service that covers more than 5,900 square miles. This makes us one of only two hospital-operated paramedic/EMT/EMS providers in northern Nevada. Our location in Fallon - a short drive from both Reno and Lake Tahoe - offers a wealth of lifestyle advantages, including rustic, rural charm, along with a recreational wonderland of outdoor sports, such as boating, fishing, hiking, biking, skiing, hunting, horseback riding and off-roading.
POSITION SUMMARY This position will work under the supervision of the pharmacist performing routine duties in packaging, distribution, non-sterile compounding, and record-keeping of pharmaceutical supplies. Serves as a liaison between the customer and the pharmacist. Becomes proficient in preparing compounded intravenous medications, total parenteral nutrition products, and chemotherapeutic agents within compliance with USP regulations. Effectively uses pharmacy computer systems to investigate and respond to missing medication requests. Consistently demonstrates an ability to assess a situation, consider alternatives, and choose the appropriate course of action. May educate and train peer Pharmacy Technicians, Technician Externs, Technician Trainees, and volunteers. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Identifies medications and other items for reorder as necessary to maintain a continuous inventory of medications and supplies. Receives, checks-in, and restocks medications ordered through the wholesaler and other vendors verifying all quantities against invoices. Assesses practical ways to deal with shorted items and short-dated or unusable items.
2. Manages users within the automated dispensing technology database as per policy. Investigates discrepancies and troubleshoots malfunctions in automated dispensing technology.
3. Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills and is customer service oriented in all contacts with patients, visitors and staff. Responds to standard requests from internal customers. Interacts primarily with department personnel, cross-department personnel, internal customers, patients and physicians.
4. May use automated dispensing technology or requisition to restock medications to nursing and ancillary areas after checking by a pharmacist. When allowed by law and policy, and upon completion of proper training/competency assessment, may restock automated dispensing technology using barcode scanning verification devices. Restocks medications to all areas outside automated dispensing technology which may include but not limited to trays, code carts and emergency boxes.
5. Compounds non-sterile medication products. Understands and appropriately follows all product worksheets/recipes for documentation and check processes. Understands and adheres to all applicable USP compounding guidelines. Demonstrates knowledge of and consistently performs calibrations of equipment and accurately measures components for compounding. Repackages bulk medications into unit of use packaging. Completes accurate documentation of medications compounded and repackaged per policy.
6. Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with all policies, laws, and regulations. Performs quality control activities such as monthly nursing unit inspections and pharmacy section checks in a timely manner. Completes documentation of refrigerator temperatures, and equipment maintenance activities as required.
7. Handles narcotic medications following all federal and legal requirements as set through policy and procedure. Understands all regulatory requirements for receiving, compounding, repackaging, and distribution for controlled substances. Consistently adheres to all storage and inventory movement documentation requirements for controlled substances.
8. Becomes proficient in performing compounding and labeling of intravenous non-hazardous compounds using proper sterile and aseptic technique as appropriate to the site of care. Understands the different product lines in sterile populations (adult, pediatric, and neonate). Completes all required environmental cleaning procedures. Documents all required tasks and other information per policy.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge. Completion of a Pharmacy Technician Certification Program.
Requires Pharmacy Technician licensure and active Pharmacy Technician certification (exception for Nevada) OR Pharmacy Intern licensure in the state of practice.
Ability to complete moderate to difficult mathematical calculations using a hand-held calculator is required. Strong customer service focus, exceptional communication skills, strong attention to detail, prioritization capabilities, superior problem-solving skills, and ability to multi-task. Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and automated dispensing systems. Must demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients, and other contacts.
Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment. Employees working at Banner MD Anderson or BUMC-P Whole Health Counseling must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.