A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
Banner Health is a nonprofit organization consisting of 28 acute care hospitals and health care facilities, including 3 academic medical centers and other related health entities and services in six states. Banner - University Medicine is the new academic medicine division of Banner Health, anchored in Phoenix and Tucson.
The objective of the program is to provide pharmacy students the opportunity to work at a large academic medical center, learning the operations of a hospital pharmacy and building clinical knowledge. Each year of the program correlates with the year of pharmacy school that the student is enrolled. The first year will be dedicated to learning the operations of the hospital pharmacy working as a pharmacy technician. As the student progresses through school, they will become more involved with patient care by directly assisting pharmacists with clinical responsibilities on the patient care units. If you are a first year Intern Pharmacist, come join our team!
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Center Phoenix Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix is a nationally recognized academic medical center. The world-class hospital is focused on coordinated clinical care, expanded research activities and nurturing future generations of highly trained medical professionals. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Additionally, the campus responsibilities include fully integrated multi-specialty and sub-specialty clinics, and with a new $400 million campus investment, a new patient tower and 2 new clinic buildings will be built.
POSITION SUMMARY This position will work under the supervision of the pharmacist. Performs routine duties in packaging, distribution and record keeping of pharmaceutical supplies. Assists in preparing compounded and intravenous medications, total parenteral nutrition products, and chemotherapeutic agents. Consistently demonstrates an ability to assess a situation, consider alternatives, and choose the appropriate course of action. May work with the Pharmacist in processing physician orders for medications by entering information in to the medication management system in an unverified status. Under the supervision of the pharmacist, assesses and formulates potential recommendations to physicians and provides information to physicians, nurses, and others regarding topics relating to the medication use system. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Selects and/or prepares medications, under direct supervision, as indicated on the patient medication orders. Places medications in patient boxes or in designated area for pharmacist to review, sends/delivers medications to nursing units as required. Investigates missing medication requests Charges/credits patients for medications and intravenous solutions as appropriate. Restocks unused and credited returned medications.
2. Attends to customers and answers telephones in a courteous and timely manner. Serves as a liaison between the customer and the pharmacist.
3. Using automated dispensing technology or requisition, restocks medications to nursing and ancillary areas after checked by a pharmacist. Restocks medications to all areas outside automated dispensing technology which may include but not be limited to trays, code carts and emergency boxes. Adds users to the automatic dispensing technology database as per policy. Investigates discrepancies in automated dispensing technology. Troubleshoots automated technology malfunctions.
4. Identifies medications and other items for reorder as necessary to maintain a continuous inventory of medications and supplies. Receives, checks-in, and restocks medications ordered through wholesaler and other vendors.
5. Compounds specialty drug products. Repackages bulk medications into unit of use packaging. Completes accurate documentation of items compounded and repackaged.
6. Assists in preparing and labeling of intravenous medication orders including total parenteral nutrition products and chemotherapy products using proper sterile and aseptic technique.
7. Under the supervision of a pharmacist, utilizes education and pharmacy skills in assessing and formulating potential recommendations to physicians to help ensure quality and economical drug therapy, and positive patient outcomes. May provide information (under pharmacist supervision) to physicians, nurses, and others regarding medication therapy, medication systems, drug product guidelines, laws and regulations, medication formulary, and other topics related to the medication use system. Medication assessments may be performed with special consideration given to medication safety and the needs of the specific patient age groups served.
Must be attending an accredited school of Pharmacy.
Requires current and unrestricted pharmacy intern licensure in the state of practice.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must have good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of Staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and Automated dispensing systems.
Pharmacy technician experience preferred. Additional training in specialty areas (such as automatic dispensing technology, controlled substances and satellite pharmacy) preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R18662
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.